Thursday 22 February 2018

Week 8

Still reading.... I am surprising myself. I am making time to catch up with a good book. Work is at its most hectic, but I’m still finding the time. This week I wanted to tick off another book from Erin’s reading challenge. This is the furthest I’ve ever progressed with this challenge. I’m halfway through reading 5 books. The secret keeper by Kate Morton is on Book Riot’s 100 must read books. I had grabbed this one last year after suggestions after reading a Kimberley Freeman novel.
This a bit of a saga set in WWII and in 2011, it tells about the story about Laurel Nicholson and her mother with dementia. Through shifting through the timeframes you get to know Dorothy Nicholson (née Smitham) and her friend Vivien Jenkins. A really beautiful story that left me weeping in the final chapter. This was a true saga written over 560 pages, it has helped me tick off another title in the Ultimate reading challenge.

In my commute, I managed an audiobook, Comedian Tina Fey’s Bossypants.

I was really hoping that it would be a rip roaring laugh out loud kind of comedic book. I like Tina Fey, she is intelligent and I find what she writes about interesting. I just don’t find it LOL funny. In fact, the only time I laughed aloud was when I was listening with my son and it was awkward moment about tampons. We both looked at each other and laughed about the awkwardness. I don’t know if I’m gonna find that kind of a book, having read three female comedians’ stories this year. But I’m going to label it a funny book, funny in an intelligent way.

I am at 12 books for the year. I can't believe I'm a third of the way through my reading goal on goodreads. Its amazing how much I read last year for my Masters. I am spending the same amount of time but reading purely for pleasure this year. I think I can complete the Ultimate reading challenge this year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment