Friday 19 January 2018

Week 3

After reading Wildflower Hill at the end of last year, I couldn't wait to read more from this author. Lighthouse Bay, did not disappoint. This novel is told in two voices in two different years 1901 and 2012 through the characters Isabelle Winterbourne; a wife of a jeweller from England who survives a shipwreck and Libby Slater; who used to live in Lighthouse Bay, and has returned from Paris after 20 years after her lover dies. It is a fantastic story about this town and the secrets it hides. I read this for Erin's challenge; Read a book that starts with the letter L. This is my second book finished for this challenge. I also crossed it off as "A book that you own".

My second read this week was a play. I have not read a play since high school. In high school, we read  The Crucible and quite a few Shakespeare plays. I was a bit hesitant to read this genre again. However, upon reading the first two pages of this play. Tennessee Williams had created a vivid image of the scene with the two main character Brick and Cat, and I wanted to know more about their story. It would have been quite a controversial story at the time. This play was told in three acts, in this version Act 3, has a rewrite for the New York theatrical production. I read it considering which one I preferred. I personally like the original version. I googled the play after reading and discovered it has been made into a movie with Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman, I would be interested in seeing how they adapted it to the screen, and whether it captivated the audience like the written version.
I have read 5 books towards my Goodreads challenge and the Ultimate Reading Challenge. I am hoping this early boost in the reading will assist when I am back to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment