Friday 5 October 2018

Week 40

Its spring break and I managed to get some serious reading done this week. I really liked the hint for the young adult once upon a book club title, and as soon as the title was known I ordered the book. In Another Time tells the story of The Women’s timber corp in Scotland during the war. I loved hearing about the strong lumberjills and it was a side of the war I hadn’t heard before. Interspersed in the story is a love story between Maisie and John. 
Americanah has been sitting on my shelf for a while. I bought it second hand as a title for my Read around the world for 🇳🇬 Nigeria. The title was also on an unlikeable character list and so it was one of my titles for Erin’s 9.0 reading challenge. This was the tenth title read for this challenge. This book takes on race, immigration and emigration, the politics of natural hair, interracial relationships, what it means to leave home, and what it means to return, all things I have no experience with wrapped up in a love story. I liked the main characters Ifemeulu and Obinze, I’m not quite sure which character was meant to be unlikeable. I’m unsure about the ending, it left me wanting more. 



So after reading this book, I planned my titles for Erin’s 9.0 bonus round. Walk Two moons was on someone’s TBR pile the longest and it was also sitting in my bookshelf. I had bought this as a Newberry title that might be good to use in the classroom. It had been a while since I had read a Newberry title. I found it slow to start, but the ending was powerful and had me shed a few tears. This book deals with issues relating to internalizing feelings, judging others, coping with emotions and not taking things for granted. All things children in upper primary experience and are learning about. 




No comments:

Post a Comment