Friday 23 March 2018

Week 12

I changed my mind for one of my books in the Book challenge by Erin for the category “Read a book with a character’s name in the title”. Originally I selected Huckleberry Finn, but after struggling with finishing it, I have chosen Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine, to replace it.  I read this as one of books I “read” during my daily commute through my audible app. This book has some twists as Eleanor is not fine and has suffered through a traumatic experience in the past which doesn’t come to the surface until an incident occurs during the book. It has some twists, and if you have read it, let me know, as I want to talk with someone about the ending.



The other book I “read” in my commute is The fall of marigolds by Susan Meissner. I find it extremely difficult not having the novel to physically look at, as I have a habit that if I think I know how a book will end, I flick to the end to see if I’m right. Listening to an audiobook, you have to wait the entire 10+ hours to confirm you initial predictions. This was another historical fiction, based on the tragic events of the Twin tower collapse in 9/11 and the Triangle Shirtwaist fire in Manhattan in 1911. This story is told in the viewpoint of nurse Clara Wood, and in the more recent tragedy viewpoint of Tarryn. The book does not cover each time period evenly, telling more about Clara’s story, at times I pondered how do the two stories connect, when I felt the author had forgotten to revisit Tarryn and her story. It has some twists, that I didn’t see coming. I throughly enjoyed this new author to me.  



So I am ticking off the categories for the Ultimate reading challenge, a book with a name in the title and a book with a colour in the title. 19 books total for the year so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment