Saturday 30 December 2017

Final reads of 2017

Trafficked was bought at the airport this year after some flight delays. This book was a horrifying read where a British girl was lured to Italy by a 'friend', and  was then forced to into prostitution to repay her 'friend's' drug debt.  Sophie Hayes is not her real name but a pseudonym, and the writer has formed the Sophie Hayes Foundation to help girls like herself.

Wildflower Hill was such a beautiful story. I loved this author!! It was the first novel of hers for me, and it won't be the last. A historical saga weaved between two generations, Beattie Blaxland who came to Australia as a Scottish immigrant in the early 1900s and her granddaughter, Emma Blaxland - Hunter, a ballerina. Their lives connect and the story is brought to life through understanding of a sheep farm, Wildflower Hill in Tasmania.



Sapphire Skies is another historical saga, about a Russian female fighter pilot, Natasha, who flew in WWII, and Lily, an Russian-Australian who has tragically lost her fiance to cancer. The way the two stories connect is wonderfully written.

These are the last reads for me in 2017. Another two countries visited in my read around the world challenge.  🇮🇹 and 🇷🇺

That was a total of 44 books read, a total of 12, 084 pages. The shortest book I read this year was for uni, Peter Drucker's Managing Oneself, and the longest was Jeffrey Archer's False Impression. The average length of book I read was 275 pages. 

The most popular book I've read this year on Goodreads is A Thousand Splendid Suns with 1,323,910 also reading this book and the least popular book I've read on Goodreads is Data! Dialogue! Decisions! - sadly I am the only one... This is due to my uni assignment! LOL The highest rated book I read this year was The War that saved my life. Eleven books were audiobooks, and only 3 were from the library.

Looking forward to discovering more in the world of story in 2018!


No comments:

Post a Comment