Sunday 25 December 2016

The Zookeeper's wife

Midway through 2016, I saw that this book was to be turned into a movie, as I like to read books before viewing the movie. I decided to download this onto my device. 
Under the title, is a subtitle saying 'a war story". I thought this would be a work of fiction. It is however, excerpts from a number of diaries of Polish people. Diane Ackerman has weaved them together in this book. At times it reads of a work of fiction, sharing romantic moments of life during the war time but then it is interspersed with facts about animal behaviour, and then the horror of the ghetto cleansing. I do not find the book cohesive at all and it took a while to get into it. Once I treated each chapter as a stand alone short story I began to make progress, having said this, at present I have not finished reading it. I find it interesting but think I will maybe watch the movie first for this story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment